Skip to Content

Pennsylvannia's Original eDivorce℠ Lawyer

Child Support

If you’re getting a divorce in Pennsylvania and you have minor children with your spouse, the court will issue orders for child support. However, child support orders are considered “open-ended” and subject to change because it’s very common for circumstances to change so much in a family that it warrants a change in child support.

“Can I ask the court to change my child support at any time?” Under Pennsylvania law, parents have every right to petition the court to review their child support case. However, for a parent to do this, they must believe that their circumstances must have changed enough that it may affect the amount of the monthly child support payment.

What Happens Every 3 Years in PA

While a parent can petition the court to modify the existing child support order when there has been a “significant change of circumstances” like a job loss, a cut in pay or hours, or a change in child custody, every three years a notice is mailed automatically to each parent asking them if they want to have their child support case reviewed.

If someone is receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), the child support case MUST be reviewed every three years.

What is considered by the court when reviewing a child support order:

  • If either parent’s income has significantly increased or decreased
  • If the child has significant medical expenses
  • If the child has continuing medical expenses
  • If the child’s medical insurance changes
  • If the childcare expenses change
  • If the child has turned 18 and graduated from high school
  • If the child moved in with the noncustodial parent or someone else
  • If the noncustodial parent has been incarcerated in a jail or prison
  • Any other significant changes that are relevant

If you are divorcing and you have questions about how your child support order may change in the future, feel free to ask an attorney from our firm about it. To learn more about our cheap no-fault divorces, please contact Cairns Law Offices today.

Next: Is Remarriage in Your Future?

  • Divorce Wizard Our streamlined Divorce Wizard to get the process started.
  • Ask Questions - Free! We look forward to being of service.
  • Video Vault Visit our video vault to learn more helpful information.