Skip to Content
Pennsylvannia's Original eDivorce℠ Lawyer

FAQ: What If We Own Property Or We Have Debt?

Many people think that if they own a lot of property or have a lot of debt, that they need a high priced attorney to sort those things out. If you and your spouse are in agreement regarding the property division, we are able to prepare a marital settlement agreement for you. If you have joint debt, you should also consider having a settlement agreement prepared.

A settlement agreement is only between the two of you. If your spouse agrees to pay the mortgage and your name is still on the loan, the bank can come after you if that mortgage is not paid. We recommend that people who have debt together refinance separately if they can so the other person's name is removed from the obligation.

If you own real estate and need the person's name removed from the deed, we can help.. Removing a name from a deed does not excuse that person from the responsibility of the loan if their name is on the loan.

Many of the people we represent just want to leave the marriage with the property and debt they brought to the marriage. No matter how much property or debt you have, if you are in agreement, you do not need a high priced attorney to handle your divorce.

Hear From Our Happy Clients

Reviews & Testimonials

At Cairns Law Offices, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.

    "Everything was easy"
    "Everything was easy and laid out to the point. Corrections were simple and done fast."
    - Former Client
    "They were efficient and affordable."
    "They were efficient and affordable."
    - H. Gillian
    "I was concerned at first with doing a divorce online but...your end went through without a hitch!"
    "Once I got my end done, your end went through without a hitch!! It was great! Thanks again!!"
    - R. Herron
    "Everything was great fast and easy!"
    "Everything was great fast and easy. Just a couple trips to the local notary. "
    - B. Frey
    "The prices are great, and instructions were very simple to follow!"
    You have a wonderful and effective system. My divorce couldn't have been any easier, thanks to the law firm.
    - N. Patton
    "Very Happy With Process"
    I am very happy with how the process went and if I would have known it was this easy, I would have been divorced years ago!
    - S. Latham
    "Everything Was Great"
    You did everything great! Keep the good work up!
    - B. Schmidt
    "Highly Recommend"
    Very easy process helped me with all my questions with quick responses!
    - S. Shulla