Eva Marcille is an American actress, fashion model, and television personality. She started her career by winning the third cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2004. Marcille is best known for her roles/appearances on The Young and the Restless and The Real Housewives of Atlanta. She has also appeared in various music videos and films. Eva Marcille and her husband Michael Sterling, a lawyer, recently made news when they announced their divorce.
The couple has been married for four years, as they married on October 7th, 2018. They have three children—one of whom is Marcille’s child from a previous relationship.
In her filing, Marcille has asked for their debt and assets to be equitably distributed. She has also asked for primary custody of their children and child support.
What We Can Learn from Marcille & Sterling’s Divorce
Eva Marcille and Mike Sterling's separation may be a high-profile Hollywood event, but we can also take important lessons from their divorce, such as:
- Keep communication respectful. Throughout the divorce process, it is important to keep communication respectful. While Marcille has petitioned for primary custody, the pair allegedly still plan to co-parent their children; in prioritizing your children and remaining amicable as co-parents, respectful communication is imperative.
- Don’t be afraid to set boundaries. In Marcille’s online statement, she asked that everyone respect the family’s privacy; while this is a common line included in divorce announcements, it is also establishing a boundary. Whether you need to set boundaries with friends and family about what you are willing to share, with your soon-to-be-ex-spouse concerning communication, or with someone else, you shouldn’t be afraid to establish boundaries during and after your divorce.
- Be prepared for the financial consequences of divorce. When you decide to split up, you should be prepared for the financial consequences. In some cases, divorce can be costly; divorce can also affect your financial future as either spouse may be required to pay spousal maintenance or child support.
- Make sure to take care of yourself. Divorce can be a traumatic event in one's life. It can take a heavy toll on a person's mental and physical health. That is why it is important to take the necessary steps to take care of yourself. This includes taking time off work, seeking counseling or therapy, taking up yoga or other physical activities, and surrounding yourself with supportive family and friends.
- Focus on healing and moving forward. Marcille is actively focusing on her businesses and individual career, and, of course, making sure their children are taken care of. Despite the emotional upheaval that divorce brings, it's important to focus on healing and moving forward. This will take some time, but it's important to keep your eye on the bigger picture. Make a plan to move on with your life after divorce, and take steps to get there.
Affordable Divorce Services
Cairns Law Offices affords our clients the opportunity to file for a no-fault, uncontested divorce for only $299, as we believe getting divorced doesn’t have to break the bank. We also offer comprehensive divorce services including:
- Child custody, support, and visitation
- Debt division
- Military divorce
- Property division
- Settlement agreement preparation
Learn more about how our firm can help you by calling (888) 863-9115 or contacting us online.