Skip to Content

Pennsylvannia's Original eDivorce℠ Lawyer


In order to be divorced in Pennsylvania and for Cairns Law Offices to help you, either you or your spouse needs to be a resident of the state for at least 6 months prior to the divorce being filed with the court. You both do not have to be a resident of Pennsylvania, only one of you. You can live anywhere in Pennsylvania that you want to live. You can live together with your spouse or you can live apart. The Court typically does not make either of you prove where you live, but you should be prepared to prove where you lived in case the Court asks. Some cases have been dismissed and overturned because of improper residency.

If the 6-month residency requirement above is met and your divorce case has been filed with the court, then you or your spouse (or both of you) may move out of Pennsylvania to another state and still have your case heard in Pennsylvania. Cairns Law Offices makes divorce services fast and easy to use by offering them online along with related divorce services such as Settlement Agreements, Name Changes, and Removing a Spouse's Name from a Pennsylvania Deed.

You can establish Pennsylvania residency for filing for divorce in a number of ways, such as registerin to vote, obtaining a Pennsylvania driver's license, getting a library card, registering your car, truck, or other motor vehicle, or having utility bills from a Pennsylvania address. The list of ways to prove your residency is long. However, it is very important you don't maintain a residence in another state that would imply that you are from that state if you mean to use your residency in Pennsylvania to obtain a Pennsylvania no-fault, uncontested, simple divorce.

Share To:
  • Divorce Wizard Our streamlined Divorce Wizard to get the process started.
  • Ask Questions - Free! We look forward to being of service.
  • Video Vault Visit our video vault to learn more helpful information.