Society, especially those in society interested in pop culture, follow celebrity relationships closely. From being invested in couples who meet on our favorite shows to feeling heartbreak at the end of a celebrity couple’s marriage, we can have a deep personal investment in celebrity divorces and relationships. Below, we will discuss some of the reasons celebrities divorce, the unique challenges in these divorces, and more.
Why Do Celebrity Couples Divorce?
Celebrity divorces can be caused by some of the same leading causes of divorce that everyone faces (i.e. cheating, abuse, addiction issues, irreconcilable differences, etc.). A few other reasons include but are not limited to:
- Conflicting schedules. Many celebrities, especially actors, professional sports players, musicians, and those whose work requires a lot of travel and being on location, have demanding schedules. If a person and their spouse often feel like ships passing in the night because of their schedules, they may drift apart and consider divorce.
- Infidelity. Being unfaithful can end a marriage. While some couples may try to work it out, adultery can break the trust in a relationship. A few examples of celebrity marriages that ended because of infidelity include Swiss Beatz and Mashonda, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver, Sandra Bullock and Jesse James, and LeAnn Rimes and Dean Sheremet.
- Financial independence. A common reason many couples put off getting divorced is financial concerns. However, celebrities have financial freedom and don’t have to hesitate or worry about the cost of divorce.
Challenges in Celebrity Divorces
Because celebrity divorces are high-profile cases, there is an added layer of complexity involved in their cases. Some unique concerns in celebrity divorces include:
- Concerns with public image. While all couples may worry about the stigma of divorce and how their personal relationship might be impacted, divorcing celebrity couples may also worry about public opinion.
- Added stress. As celebrity divorces are typically big news and are the topic of discussion on the news, in blogs, and in magazines, the couple can feel added stress and pressure. They can feel more stress because of the negative spotlight, exaggerated or false details shared, and the increase in paparazzi and attention.
- Property division and financial concerns. Similar to high-asset and high-net-worth divorces, celebrity divorces can be complicated because the couple has a lot of high-value assets.
- Over-generous settlements. In a celebrity divorce, either party may feel the need to be too generous, especially if there is a difference in each party’s income and ability to maintain their lifestyle. If only one spouse is a celebrity, they may be even more likely to do this.
- Outside interference. Many celebrities have family, PR consultants, and other people invested in supporting the divorcing couple throughout the divorce; however, their desire to help can sometimes lead to unhelpful interference and can complicate the case.
- Paparazzi photos as evidence. Celebrities sometimes do not have a lot of privacy and the public and paparazzi may take photos of them that can be used against them in court. For instance, infidelity or anger issues can be revealed because of these photographs.
Need help filing a no-fault, uncontested divorce? Cairns Law Offices is here and equipped to help you. Learn more about our divorce services by calling (888) 863-9115 or reaching out online.