Skip to Content

Pennsylvannia's Original eDivorce℠ Lawyer


One of the considerations women face with an uncontested divorce is changing their last name. There are a variety of reasons women may consider changing their surname when facing an no fault divorce in Pennsylvania. For some women they no longer want to be reminded of their ex husband, others want to quickly move ahead and forge their own identity.

There are a couple of options to consider when changing your last name. In the state of Pennsylvania you can go back and change your name to a previously used married name or your maiden name. Ask your uncontested divorce lawyer how he or she can help file the appropriate paperwork.

After having legally changed your name you will need to update your personal records. Some of these records will include social security, passport and driver's license. Starting with your social security card and driver's license will help you move through the process of changing other records at a quicker speed. Also, when you change the name on your passport you can list your married last name under aka (also known as); this comes in handy when changing other records such as insurance policies.

Other places you may want to have your name changed on your records include:

  1. Public library;
  2. Voter registration card;
  3. IRS;
  4. Utility companies;
  5. Legal documents;
  6. Doctor's office;
  7. Payroll;
  8. Professional networks; and
  9. Child's school records.

When filing for a name change on your social security card you will be asked for a certified copy of your divorce decree. In addition, you will need to prove your identity. This can be done by showing a driver's license/state i.d. or a passport. Also, if you have not proven citizenship with the social security office you will need to show documentation such as a U.S. birth certificate or a certificate of naturalization/citizenship.

Keep in mind that you will need to show the original of your documents or have certified copies when applying to change the name on your social security card. Your social security number will not change, just the name. The estimated time for receiving your new social security card is approximately ten business days from the time the office receives all of your materials.

Don't forget about changing your name on your email accounts and social media circles.

Share To:
  • Divorce Wizard Our streamlined Divorce Wizard to get the process started.
  • Ask Questions - Free! We look forward to being of service.
  • Video Vault Visit our video vault to learn more helpful information.