With Valentine's Day right around the corner, an uncontested divorce can put a real damper on the most celebrated day associated with love. I have put together a survival blog to help get you through what can be a challenging moment.
Here are some quotes to help you laugh, or hopefully at least help you to crack a smile.
- I'm single because I was born that way – Mae West;
- Today is Valentine's Day, or as men like to call it Extortion Day – Jay Leno;
- Happy Single Awareness Day – no card, no flowers, no chocolate. OH WAIT – no one to tell me what to do, to clean up after, to spend my money LOL – Unknown;
- If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question – Unknown;
- Reminder: Valentine's Day is a gentle reminder that Christmas decorations must come down – Unknown; and
- I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon – Unknown.
An option that many singles are choosing this season is an Anti-Valentine's Celebration. If you decide to go down this route try to keep your festivities fun and light. This is not a moment when you want to bring yourself down; let's face it – you are going through enough already.
We have some ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Make an Anti-VD handbook;
- Share bad dating stories, on the funny side;
- Create a play list of anti-love songs, such as Love Stinks or I will survive;
- Have a good assortment of comfort foods - macaroni and cheese, cream puffs- loosen up you diet for the day;
- Be creative with words on cookies and cupcakes; and
- For the ladies you may want to turn you're Anti-VD celebration into a pleasure party. Speak to your party consultant and let her know it's for single women only (not for women in relationships).
Shopping online can give you some enjoyable ideas for your celebration. A quick search on the internet gives you options for a variety items such as: T-shirts, buttons, cards and food items.
More songs for your Valentine's Day playlist:
- Fighter by Christina Aguilera;
- Survivor by Destiny's Child;
- I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts;
- Free Falling by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers;
- Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison;
- Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson;
- Here I Go Again by Whitesnake;
- Stronger by Britney Spears;
- Tainted Love by Soft Cell; and
- You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette.
This is a great day to give back to your community. Volunteers are more than appreciated in most non-profits. Make sure to call in advance and sort out the arrangements beforehand.
Rather be alone on Valentines Day? The Anti-Valentine's Handbook by J. More can be a fun way to spend the holiday. Reading through some funny anecdotes, such as when your date writes "help me" with his mash potatoes, can help you take a night off from your worries and stress.